Serve this rustic, homestyle dish as part of a picnic by the river.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 carrots, peeled, finely shredded
- 1 beetroot, peeled, finely shredded
- 4 x 200g scotch fillet steaks
- 4 pieces Turkish bread, split, toasted
- 1/3 cup good-quality mayonnaise*
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, garlic and mustard together in a bowl, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Add shredded carrots and beetroot. Toss to combine. Cover. Refrigerate until required.
- Season steaks to taste. Heat remaining oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook for 5 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer steaks to a plate. Cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread bases of Turkish bread pieces with a little mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, steaks and beetroot salad. Sandwich with Turkish bread tops and serve immediately.