If you don't have Maltese sausage just use good quality pork sausages. Makes a large pot.
- 1 large pumpkin peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 sausages chopped plus two for decoration
- 1.5 litre chicken stock
- 100 grams course semolina
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Grated cheese and chopped parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Place pumpkin on a tray and place in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and soft.
- While the pumpkin is in the oven fry the onion in a large pot with olive oil for 10 minutes until soft.
- Fry the garlic and tomato paste for two minutes.
- Add in the celery and 2 sausages. Fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Add in the pumpkin and stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender and season to taste. If you feel the soup is too thick add in more stock. The semolina will also absorb more liquid so take this into consideration.
- Once the soup has been simmered add in the course semolina and simmer for a further ten minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley, grated cheese and crumbled cooked sausage.