Make the dough and place in the fridge for at least two hours before rolling out. This recipe makes about 4 trays. You can freeze the ravioli also and serve another time. Just make sure to freeze the ravioli in the trays first and then place in a container once semi frozen. Otherwise they will stick together.
- 500 grams plain flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 200 ml water plus 50 ml extra
- For the filling:
- 5 Maltese cheeselets or 500 grams ricotta
- 2 handfuls parmesan cheese
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- Small bunch of parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- For the tomato sauce:
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 medium jar tomato passata
- Salt and pepper
- For serving:
- Extra chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the dough by placing the flour into a large bowl.
- Add into the centre of the flour the egg and water.
- Mix with a knife and once the dough starts to form add more water if the dough feels a bit too dry.
- Now knead the dough with your hands until the ball feels firm but springy to touch.
- Place in the fridge wrapped in cling wrap for two hours.
- While the dough is in the fridge prepare the mixture. Mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Prepare the trays by lining with baking paper.
- Once the dough is ready. Roll out some of the dough thinly onto a floured surface.
- Using a medium sized biscuit cutter, cut out circles to form round pastry shapes.
- Place 1 large teaspoon of the mixture inside the centre of each of the pastry shapes.
- Fold over the pastry to form semi circles. Firmly press the edges and if you with mark the edges with a fork.
- Add the ravioli into boiling water and boil uncovered for about 20 minutes. If the ravioli come to the top of the pot then gently press them down. Do not stir the ravioli at any point.
- Make the tomato sauce by frying the garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add the passata and seasoning and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Once the 20 minutes has passed gently remove the ravioli and place into plates.
- Serve with the tomato sauce, some grated cheese, parsley and seasoning.