Keep summer cooking easy with this clever pepper-crusted steak and salad meal.
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons dried green peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns (see note)
- 4 x 200g sirloin steaks, trimmed
- 1 eggwhite, lightly beaten
- 8 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions, shredded
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat a chargrill pan to medium-high.
- Coarsely crush all the peppercorns in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Transfer to a plate. Lightly brush each side of the steaks with eggwhite and press into the peppercorn mixture to coat. Season and set aside.
- Rub the mushroom with the garlic. Place in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons oil, then season. Chargrill for 2-3 minutes each side until charred. Set aside to cool.
- Chargrill steaks for 6-8 minutes, turning once, for medium-rare. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss mushroom, spring onion and spinach together. Whisk together Dijon, balsamic and remaining 2 tablespoons oil, season, then toss with the salad.
- Divide the steaks and mushroom salad among 4 plates and serve.