Maltese squid is a great recipe to try. Serve with a tomato salsa. Great as a starter or main!
- 2 large squids (about 550 grams each) - ask your fishmonger to gut and clean them for you
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Tentacles of the squids chopped
- 200 grams fine breadcrumbs
- 200 grams ricotta
- 2 tablespoons black kalamata olives chopped
- Small bunch of parsley chopped
- Small bunch of oregano chopped
- 250 ml white wine or chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- Olive oil for frying and baking
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the onion and garlic for five minutes with 2 tablespoons olive oil or until softened.
- Add in the chopped tentacles and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in the bread crumbs and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the wine and stock.
- Add in all other ingredients (except the squid) and turn off the heat.
- Mix together well and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Fill each of the squids with the mixture.
- Seal with toothpicks.
- Place the squid in a baking tray and put in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until slightly golden on top.
- Slice the squid in rounds, serve with a tomato salsa and some wedges of lemon.