Roast Pork with fennel and roast vegetables is something my family love to have often. Enjoy with roast potatoes baked in the oven the Maltese way too!
- Large pork shoulder or leg with skin on
- 4 onions quartered
- 10 small carrots, halved length ways
- 2 sticks of celery chopped
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated (leave skin on)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Small bunch of sage
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 240oC.
- Score skin of pork and rub coarse salt through the scores. Pat the skin with a paper towel.
- Season the underside of the pork with salt, pepper and some of the fennel seeds.
- Add the vegetable stock, remaining fennel seeds and sage in a roasting dish.
- Place the pork on top and leave in the oven for 30 minutes. The skin should be forming into crackling.
- At this point reduce the temperature to 180oC and leave in the oven for another half an hour.
- Remove from the oven and add the vegetables, garlic and oil to the roasting dish.
- Place back in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Place foil over the pork and leave to rest for half an hour.