Get your carb and protein fix with this tasty Chinese version of a bowl of cereal.
- 2L (8 cups) water
- 110g (1/2 cup) medium grain rice, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh ginger
- 400g chicken breast fillet, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons Chinese cooking wine (see note)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 spring onions (shallots), trimmed, thinly sliced
- Sesame oil (optional), to serve
- Thinly sliced fresh red chilli, to serve
- Place the water, rice and ginger in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours or until the rice has broken down.
- Add the chicken to the rice mixture and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the sugar, cooking wine and salt. Stir in the pale section of the spring onion. Season.
- Divide the congee among bowls. Sprinkle with the green section of the spring onion. Drizzle with the sesame oil and top with the chilli.