Voila - this simple, yet impressive recipe is inspired by classic French bistro cuisine.
- 55g can green peppercorns in brine, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine
- 4 x 200g beef eye-fillet steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Massel beef stock
- 1/2 cup (120g) creme fraiche
- French fries, rocket and finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Place peppercorns and wine in a bowl and stand for 5 minutes.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm plate and set aside in a warm spot to rest while you make the peppercorn sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the peppercorns and wine to the pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the wine has almost evaporated. Add the consomme and creme fraiche, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes until thickened and reduced. Season to taste.
- Place the steaks on serving plates with the fries and rocket. Drizzle the sauce over the steaks and sprinkle with parsley.