An absolute classic dish of squid, deep-fried and seasoned with salt and pepper - a guaranteed entertainers delight.
- 4 (about 750g) cleaned squid hoods
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of chilli powder
- 55g (1/3 cup) finely chopped palm sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh grapefruit juice
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 Lebanese cucumber, ends trimmed, deseeded, finely chopped
- Cut each squid hood lengthways from opening to tip. Lay flat, inside up, and score diagonally. Cut into 4cm squares. Pat dry with paper towel.
- To make the sauce, combine the sugar, grapefruit juice, water and chilli sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Add fish sauce. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Add cucumber. Transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, add enough oil to a wok to reach a depth of 10cm. Heat over medium heat to 180