This simple dish is sure to become a favourite with soft parmesan polenta taking the place of the usual mashed potato next to the pepper steaks.
- 2 cups Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 4 (150g each) beef rump steaks
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper medley
- 30g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Extra chopped chives and steamed green beans, to serve
- Place stock and 500ml cold water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Gradually stir in polenta. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until polenta is thick. Stir in parmesan. Season. Stir warm milk into polenta. Cover to keep warm.
- Sprinkle steaks with pepper. Melt half the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter in pan over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add lemon juice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in chives. Spoon soft polenta onto plates. Top with steaks and drizzle with chive sauce. Sprinkle with extra chives. Serve with beans.