Try a twist on an old Mexican favorite with these orange braised pulled pork tacos with fennel and cabbage slaw.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg pork shoulder roast
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 oranges, peeled zest and juice
- 2 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb of fennel, thinly sliced, keep fennel frongs
- 1 lemon, quartered (see tip)
- 1/3 cup Kewpie or egg mayonnaise
- 1 bunch or 2 cups coriander leaves
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 green chillies, finely diced (optional)
- Place a large saucepan / stockpot over medium heat, add 1tablespoon of the oil, once hot, add pork and sear on each side until a golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil, once hot add onion, cook for a few minutes then add garlic, fennel and cumin seeds and cook for a further 2 minutes. Return pork to the pan, add orange zest and juice, stock, water and black peppercorns and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking, covered, on low heat for 3 4 hours. Alternatively cook in slow cooker for 6 8 hours. Once cooked the meat will shred / pull apart very easily but keep in stock on low heat until ready to serve.
- To make slaw, combine cabbages, fennel, mayonnaise and half the coriander in a bowl and mix well. Season with a little salt.
- To serve, heat tortillas according to packet instructions. Remove pork from stock retaining some of the orange zest and stock to drizzle over the pork. Place some slaw on the tortilla topped with pork, extra coriander and chilli if desired. Drizzle with a little of the pork stock for extra juiciness and flavour!