A beautiful heartwarming soup made with broad beans, peas and giant couscous. You can also add in Maltese cheeselets and eggs. I have added a touch of dried mint too. I used frozen broad beans and peas as they are not in season but you should use fresh if possible.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon mint
- 350 grams broad beans (frozen or fresh)
- 300 grams peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock ( I used both)
- 150 grams giant couscous (I used wholemeal but you can also use white)
- 4 to 6 Maltese Cheeselets (or fresh ricotta to serve) - optional
- 4 to 6 eggs - optional
- Mint and grated parmesan to serve
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot fry the onion with a good dose of olive oil for about five minutes.
- Add in the garlic, tomato paste and mint. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the broad beans, peas and stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Add in the giant couscous and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- If adding in eggs, gently crack open and put in with the couscous.
- Add in the Maltese cheeselets and cook for a further ten minutes.
- When serving provide each plate with a cheeselet and egg if using. If not using the cheeselet then place a dollop of ricotta into the bowl instead.
- Season and sprinkle some parmesan and fresh mint on top.