This rich chocolate cake uses macadamia meal instead of flour which makes it perfect for gluten allergies but also gives the cake wonderful flavour and texture.
- 50g raw cacao powder, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 150g coconut oil, melted, cooled
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 150g macadamia meal
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- Pinch salt
- Berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170C or 150C fan-forced. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm springform pan with baking paper.
- Combine cacao and boiling water in a small bowl. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugar, coconut oil and eggs for 3 minutes or until smooth and thickened.
- Combine macadamia meal, bicarbonate and salt in a bowl.
- With motor on low speed, beat cacao mixture through egg mixture. Add almond mixture and stir until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a crust has formed but cake is still slightly wobbly in centre. Stand pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan and stand to cool completely. Remove base of pan.
- Chill cake before serving. Sprinkle with extra cacao and serve with berries.