It's not uncommon to buy bananas and let them languish until they're overripe, which makes them perfect for this moist and comforting gluten-free banana bread.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (see Notes)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour (see Notes)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small bananas, split, extra
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 13cm x 23cm (top) loaf pan. Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pan.
- Combine flours, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and sugar together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk oil, egg, mashed banana, milk and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to flour mixture. Stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan. Top with split banana, cut-side up, and brush with