Infuse delicate fish with delicious Chinese flavours and condiments.
- 1 (700g) whole baby snapper, cleaned
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Mae Ploy sweet chilli sauce
- Sliced green onion and fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Rinse fish inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Make 3 shallow cuts, 1cm-deep, into thickest part of each side of fish. Place fish in a large, shallow heatproof bowl (see note).
- Fill a wok with water until one-third full. Bring to the boil over high heat. Place a small ovenproof dish or ramekin in wok.
- Combine ginger, garlic, oil, sugar, soy sauce, onion and sweet chilli sauce in a jug. Spoon ginger mixture over fish, turning to coat. Place fish, in bowl, on dish in wok. Cover with lid. Steam fish for 10 minutes or until just cooked through (see tip). Transfer to a platter. Spoon over ginger mixture. Top with onion and coriander. Serve.