I have used bought jarred cabbage leaves in this recipe but you can also use fresh. Refer to my other cabbage roll recipe on the blog for details on how to prepare fresh cabbage leaves.
- 1 large jar of cooked cabbage leaves
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 500 grams mince meat (use pork, or beef, or a combination)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 large jar of passata
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the mince and fry for a further 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add in the garlic and tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Remove from the pan and mix in the cheese and egg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same pan add in some olive oil.
- Take one cabbage leaf and place about 1 tablespoon of mince mixture onto the edge. Roll the sides over the mixture and then roll the remaining leaf around the mixture to form a cylindrical shape. Place into the pan.
- Continue to do this until all cabbage leaves are used (about 15) and the cabbage rolls have filled the pan. It is fine if you have to create an extra layer.
- Add in the passata over the cabbage rolls. Season with some more salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low heat. Simmer for about an hour.