Pork leg roast is a simple but delicious way to treat your guests,
- 1 pork leg roast, skin on and bone in (about 2.8kg total)
- Fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 275C (255C fan-forced).
- With a sharp knife or box cutter, gently score the skin of the leg against the grain of the meat. Then cut all the way through the skin and fat until you reach the meat (do not cut through the meat). Keep in mind, the more scores you make the crispier the crackling.
- Rub the scored skin with 1/2 tablespoon of fine sea salt, making sure to rub it in well. Season the rest of the leg generously with salt. Place the pork on a rack set in a roasting pan.
- Roast the pork, spooning off any excess fat that accumulates in the roasting pan, if necessary, for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180C (160C fan-forced) and continue cooking until a meat thermometer inserted into the centre of the roast registers 70C, about 2 1/2 hours. The rule of thumb states that you cook the roast approximately 25 minutes for every 500g of weight. Place on a carving board and leave to rest for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the pork and crackling and arrange the slices and pieces of the crackling on plates.
- Serve with grilled peaches with pickled onions, rocket, and parmagiano cheese (see related recipe).