Looking for a special dinner for a special occasion - try these succulent chicken breasts with grapefruit and tarragon beurre blanc.
- 4 (about 180g each) single corn-fed chicken breast fillets
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Steamed baby coliban (chat) potatoes, to serve
- grapefruit & tarragon beurre blanc
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 purple eschalots, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 180g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt & freshly ground white pepper
- To make the beurre blanc, place the grapefruit juice, eschalot and peppercorns in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain through a fine sieve into a small frying pan. Discard eschalot and peppercorns. Place the frying pan over low heat. Add the butter, 1 cube at a time, whisking constantly and adding another cube only when the previous cube has been incorporated. Continue until all the butter is incorporated. Remove from heat. Stir in cream and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Season the chicken fillets with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes each side or until brown and just cooked through. Remove from heat. Cover with foil and set aside for 2 minutes to rest.
- Slice the chicken thickly across the grain. Place steamed green beans and potatoes on serving plates and top with chicken. Drizzle chicken with grapefruit & tarragon beurre blanc and serve.