Traditional Chinese chicken chow mein is a perfect midweek meal and it is packed with healthy vegetables.
- 500g chicken fillets
- 6 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/4 cup jasmine rice
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 450g packet Singapore noodles
- 100g packet crunchy fried noodles, to serve
- Place chicken fillets into a steamer basket over a frying pan of simmering water. Cook for 8 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Allow to cool. Shred roughly.
- Place stock into a wok or large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Add rice, vegetables, curry powder, five spice and ginger to stock. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Cook noodles following packet directions. Drain.
- Add chicken and cooked noodles to rice mixture. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into bowls. Top with crunchy noodles.