Dip some crusty bread into this healthy, vegetarian artichoke and cannelini bean dip.
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts (about 3 whole)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- Crudites (such as blanched asparagus, baby zucchini and baby (Dutch) carrots) and toasted baguette slices, to serve
- Place the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes. When hot, add the basil leaves (stand back as the oil may splatter) and cook for a further 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Pour mixture into a food processor and whiz until basil is finely chopped. Pass through a fine strainer, discarding the leaves.
- Place garlic, beans, chopped artichoke and lemon juice in the (cleaned) food processor. With the motor running, slowly add oil, then season to taste.
- Serve topped with basil, accompanied by crudites and toasted baguette for dipping.