These barbecued vegies add a burst of colour to the buffet table and go beautifully with the zesty bread-based sauce.
- 3 thick slices Italian-style crusty bread, crusts removed
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large corncobs, husks and silk removed, cut into quarters crossways
- 2 red onions, peeled, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 large red capsicum, halved, deseeded, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large yellow capsicum, halved, deseeded, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Dip the bread slices, 1 at a time, in a bowl of water to soften. Use your hands to squeeze out excess water. (You will need about 3/4 cup softened bread).
- Place bread, almond meal, garlic, lemon juice and water in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin steady stream. Process until thick and smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge.
- Cook the corn in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium-high. Brush the onion, combined capsicum and zucchini with a little extra oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on grill for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and tender.
- Drizzle a little oil over the almond sauce. Season with pepper. Place vegetables on a serving platter. Serve with sauce.