A superb turkey dish that everyone will love. The sage and fresh lemon juice give it that special touch.
- 4kg butcher whole turkey (from the meat department)
- 250g butter, softened
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- Paprika, to sprinkle
- 1 bunch sage, leaves picked
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Light all the burners on a covered barbecue and turn to high with the lid closed. Wash turkey inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Using poultry shears, cut down either side of the backbone and discard. Cut out the wishbone and ribcage, and the large bone near each thigh joint. Turn over and, using the heel of your hands, press down on the breast area to flatten out. Cut deep slashes into the legs and thighs.
- Take 2 large bamboo skewers and pierce through the turkey to help keep its shape while cooking. Place in an oiled baking dish.
- Combine half the butter with garlic and sage. Press into the slashes and under the skin on the breast. Brush skin with olive oil and season with paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Turn off the two centre burners on the barbecue. Place turkey in the centre, close the lid and cook for 1 1/2hrs.
- Remove turkey from the barbecue, cover loosely with aluminum foil and leave to rest for about 20 mins. Melt remaining butter in a frying pan, add sage leaves and cook for 1-2 mins over medium-high heat, or until sage leaves are crisp. Stir in lemon juice. Place turkey on a serving platter and remove the skewers. Drizzle with sage butter.