Finish off your Chinese New Year banquet with these decadent banana fritter sundaes with creamy coconut caramel sauce.
- 500ml soda water, chilled
- 2 2/5 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 litre vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 100g palm sugar or brown sugar, finely chopped (if using brown sugar, no need to chop it)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, mixed well
- 4 ripe bananas, cut into three equal segments
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, for garnish
- 1 litre vanilla ice cream, to serve
- To make batter, place chilled soda water into a mixing bowl, add flour and salt and whisk to combine, leaving the batter a little lumpy. The batter should not be smooth. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil to a wok or large saucepan, place over high heat and bring up to 190