For a real sweet treat, try this traditional Middle Eastern baklava, layered with flaky filo pastry, sticky golden honey and pistachio nuts.
- 300g natural Californian walnuts
- 250g pistachios
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 180g butter, melted
- 1 packet fresh filo Pastry
- 300g honey
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 orange, pared rind
- To make honey syrup, place honey, sugar, cinnamon, orange rind and 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 5 mins until syrupy. Strain discarding solids. Refrigerate syrup until cold.
- Place walnuts, pistachios, sugar and ground cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse until chopped.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Grease a 35cm x 25cm baking dish with a little of the butter.
- Lay 6 sheets filo over base of prepared dish, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Scatter over a third of the nut mixture. Top with two sheets filo and brush with butter. Repeat procedure 2 more times. Brush remaining filo sheets with butter and lay on top of nut mixture. Brush again with butter. Refrigerate 15 mins.
- Cut baklava into 21 pieces. Bake for 40-50 mins until crisp and golden. Pour honey syrup over hot baklava. Set aside to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.