Roll up for these crispy, crunchy little parcels of honeyed nuts and filo.
- 100g walnuts
- 100g blanched almonds
- 100g pistachio kernels
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 orange
- 125ml (1/2 cup) honey
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line baking tray with baking paper. Process walnuts, almonds and pistachios in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in sugar, rind and cinnamon.
- Place 1 sheet of filo on a clean work surface. Brush with a little melted butter. Top with another filo sheet. Repeat with remaining filo and butter to form a stack. With the shortest side facing you, spread nut mixture evenly over filo sheet, leaving a 1cm border. Carefully roll up from the shortest side to enclose filling.
- Place strudel, seam-side down, on the lined tray. Brush with remaining butter. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, use a zester to zest the orange rind. Juice orange. Place the zest and juice in a saucepan with the honey and sugar. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly.
- Drizzle the strudel with the warm syrup and cut into serving portions.