Here's our version of the Yucatan dish tikin xic, which is traditionally baked in a banana leaf.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 80ml (1/3 cup) lime juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 4 (about 220g each) firm white fish fillets
- 1 green capsicum, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 large red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 1 fresh jalapeno chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tomato, cut into thick wedges
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Combine garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, pepper, oregano, ground cloves and combined juice in a large bowl. Add fish and turn to coat. Cover. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium-high. Place the combined capsicum, onion, chilli and oil in a large bowl. Season. Toss to combine. Cook, turning, for 5-6 minutes or until charred and tender. Transfer chilli to a chopping board and thickly slice.
- Preheat oven to 200