Poached pears & hazelnuts combine to create the perfect side dish from Curtis Stone.
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 brown pears, peeled, stems attached, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups Shiraz wine
- 2 cups grape juice
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- 130g baby rocket leaves
- 70g Red Fancy lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved parmigiano or reggiano parmesan cheese shaved with a vegetable peeler (from the deli)
- To make the poached pears: Remove the core of each pear using a melon baller keeping the pear intact.
- Place the Shiraz and grape juice in a large saucepan.
- Add the pears, bring to a simmer and cook gently for 25-30 minutes or until tender rotating as needed, then remove pan from the heat and cool the pears for about 10 minutes in the liquid.
- Remove pears from poaching liquid, transfer to a plate and let cool. Discard liquid.
- While pears are poaching, make the roasted hazelnuts, preheat the oven to 190