Go with the 'grain' to create this easy vegetarian risotto, packed with goodness of Spring-fresh ingredients.
- 1.25L Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30g butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 200g (1 cup) carnaroli or arborio rice (see note)
- 1 cup basil leaves, plus extra, to serve
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan, plus extra, shaved, to serve
- 1 lemon, zested
- Place stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and keep at a gentle simmer.
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until well coated in mixture. Gradually add 250ml (1 cup) stock, stirring occasionally, until stock is absorbed. Repeat until all stock is used and rice is al dente; this will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir basil, asparagus, parmesan and lemon zest into risotto. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes; the residual heat will cook asparagus. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the risotto among bowls. Scatter with extra basil and shaved parmesan to serve.