This cake will light up your day. Jelly and freshly baked cake, decorated with buttercream, chocolate treats and lollies.
- 375g butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jelly crystals
- 1 tablespoon orange jelly crystals
- 1 tablespoon lime jelly crystals
- 180g white chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- Blue, pink and yellow gel food colouring
- 1/4 cup mega M&Ms
- 2 tablespoons M&Ms
- 1 tablespoon mini M&Ms
- 6 gum balls
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 23cm (base) square cake pan. Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in flour and milk, in 2 batches, until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes (covering cake with foil if over-browning) or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes.
- Push the end of a wooden spoon into the top of cake to make deep holes, about 4cm apart, being careful not to push the whole way through the base of the cake (see note). Turn cake, top-side up, onto a wire rack lined with baking paper. Cool completely.
- Place cake on a 30cm square cake board or serving plate. Prepare jelly crystals in 3 separate heatproof bowls following packet directions, using 1/4 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup cold water for each flavour. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until thick and just starting to set. Stir jelly. Spoon each flavour into a separate snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner. Pipe each jelly flavour randomly into the holes to fill. Cover cake. Refrigerate overnight or until jelly has set completely.
- Make Buttercream: Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined. Using a serrated knife, level top of cake, if necessary. Spread top and sides of cake with buttercream.
- Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring with a metal spoon halfway through, or until melted and smooth. Divide mixture among 3 bowls. Tint 1 portion blue, 1 portion pink and remaining portion yellow with gel food colouring. Stand for 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Using picture as a guide, spoon coloured ganache over top of cake, allowing ganache to drip down sides of cake to form paint. Arrange art supplies and lollies on top of cake. Serve.