Celebrate Australia Day outdoors with these lively steak sandwiches to go!
- 3 x 200g beef sirloin steaks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 half baguettes or
- 6 large bread rolls
- 150g (1/2 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 butter lettuce, washed, leaves separated
- 1 avocado, halved, thinly sliced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine vinegar
- 1 eschalot, finely chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 red birds-eye chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- To make chimichurri sauce, combine all ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue over mediumhigh heat. Brush steaks with oil, then season with salt and pepper. Cook steaks for 2 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut a slit lengthwise along top of baguettes, cutting almost to base, then prise open without splitting. Brush inside with mayonnaise, then fill with lettuce and avocado. Thinly slice steaks across the grain, then divide among sandwiches. Spoon over sauce to serve.