Everyone will love this spectacular steamed pudding, which offers a creative take on the traditional favourites.
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dried diced apricots
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup water
- Brush a 6-cup capacity pudding basin with melted butter. Refrigerate for 5 minutes. Brush again with melted butter and line basin with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in apricots. Add milk and flours, alternately, folding until well-combined. Spoon into basin. Cover with baking paper, then foil. Secure with string.
- Place basin on top of a trivet or upside-down saucer in a large saucepan. Fill pot with boiling water until it is two-thirds up the sides of the basin. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir jam and water in a saucepan over low heat until simmering and well-combined. Sieve mixture until smooth.
- Remove pudding from saucepan. Invert onto a serving plate. Spoon over warm jam and serve immediately.