As the weather cools, spend more time with your family and less time in the kitchen with this simple & flavoursome apple charlotte dessert.
- 30g butter, melted
- 4 bakery fruit hot cross buns, each cut into 6
- 400g can pie apple
- 1 free range egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 cup pouring custard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced. Grease 6 x 1/2-cup dariole moulds with butter. Brush hot cross bun slices with butter. Place a piece over base of mould, butter side up, and arrange slices around sides of moulds, pressing overlapping edges to seal.
- Mix together pie apple, egg yolk and sugar. Fill moulds with apple mixture. Fold overhanging ends of bun over apple filling and press down. Place moulds on a baking tray and bake for 20 mins. Remove from oven, top with another tray and weigh down with a can or two for 10 mins. The weighted tray on top makes it a firm pudding (and a flat base to sit it on when turned out).
- Meanwhile, mix together custard and cinnamon. Heat in microwave for 1-2 mins, or until warm. Invert mouds onto serving plates and serve with warm cinnamon custard.