Use fresh apples and blackberries to make this delicious summer dessert with minimal effort.
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (155g) caster sugar
- 20g butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g blackberries
- 1/2 cup (70g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 50g butter, softened
- Place a shallow metal container in the freezer. Combine the cream, milk and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse.
- Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large bowl until thick and pale. Gradually whisk in the cream mixture until well combined. Transfer to a clean saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5-7 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Remove and discard the vanilla bean.
- Retrieve metal container from the freezer. Pour mixture into the container and cover with foil. Place in the freezer for 6 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the apple, sugar and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Remove container from freezer and use a metal spoon to break up the ice-cream. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Fold in the apple mixture and blackberries until just combined. Spoon evenly among serving glasses and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make the crumble topping, preheat an oven to 180