Farro, a barley -like wheat grain, and burghul have been around for millennia, but sometimes it takes a fresh approach to bring them to life. Cue this super-healthy citrussy salad.
- /2 cup (100g) farro (see note)
- 1/2 cup (80g) cracked wheat (burghul)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled, cut into segments, plus
- 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch dill, roughly torn
- 1 small bunch mint, leaves torn
- 1 cup wild rocket leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 avocado, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (see note) (optional)
- Cook the farro in a saucepan of simmering, salted water for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the cracked wheat and 1 cup (250ml) boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Stand for 30 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Whisk together oil, grapefruit juice, honey, mustard and vinegar, then season. Add farro, cracked wheat, herbs, rocket and spices, and toss to combine. Add grapefruit, avocado, sunflower seeds, onion and nuts. Scatter with nigella seeds, if using, and serve.