These mint chocolate macarons are melt-in-the-mouth magic, just made for afternoon tea!
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
- 4 eggwhites
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 90g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thickened cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
- Grease 3 large baking trays. Line with baking paper. Sift almond meal, cocoa and icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved. Beat until just combined. Fold in half the almond mixture until just combined. Fold in remaining mixture until combined and glossy (mixture will break down a little).
- Spoon into a large snaplock bag. Snip 1cm from 1 corner. Pipe 4cm rounds mixture onto prepared trays, 3cm apart. Tap trays on bench to remove air bubbles. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 130