What more would you want from a dessert cake that is rich, moist and turbo-charged with chocolate?
- 3 oranges, rind thinly peeled into wide strips
- 260g caster sugar, plus extra, to coat
- 300g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted
- 190g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 225g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 x 100g bars Lindt Excellence Orange Intense
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thick cream, plus extra, to serve
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional, see notes)
- Place rind in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Drain, then repeat process twice. Return rind to pan, add 110g (1/2 cup) sugar and 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Bring to the boil over medium heat, then simmer for 15 minutes or until syrup is thick and rind translucent. Drain and reserve syrup. Cool rind, then toss in extra sugar and chop coarsely.
- Place dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour 150ml boiling water over and whisk until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 180