Poke (pronounced poh-keh) bowls are a Hawaiian delicacy, which are taking off here in Australia. Fresh fish is tossed in soy sauce, sesame seeds and rice wine vinegar before being piled onto sushi rice. Serve with diced avocado and pickled ginger.
- 430g (2 cups) sushi rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sushi seasoning
- 500g sashimi-grade tuna steaks, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 green shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 large avocado, cut into 1cm pieces
- Pickled ginger, to serve
- Shallow-fried wonton wrappers, to serve (optional)
- Cook rice following the packet directions. Stir in the sushi seasoning.
- Combine tuna, shallot, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, sesame seeds and chilli in a glass or ceramic bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
- Divide the rice among bowls. Top with tuna mixture and avocado. Serve with the pickled ginger and wonton wrappers, if using.