This unbeatable steak sandwich is easy to cook and ready in half an hour. Dig in!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 (about 200g each) beef round centre cut steaks
- 125g (1/2 cup) good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 x 500g loaf wholegrain bread, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated, washed, dried
- 1 x 450g can sliced beetroot, drained
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until onion caramelises. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Place 1 steak between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Use the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound until about 1cm thick. Repeat with the remaining steaks.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the steaks and cook for 3-4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Repeat with the remaining steaks.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a medium bowl.
- Toast the bread on both sides until golden brown. Place 1 piece of toasted bread on each serving plate. Top with lettuce, beetroot, tomato, steak and onion. Drizzle with mustard mayonnaise and top with the remaining bread. Cut in half and serve immediately.