The secret to elegant, stress-free entertaining is with these make-ahead cocktail tempters.
- 375g block puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (see note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 400g sashimi-grade salmon, chopped
- 2 cups micro cress (see note)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Flesh of 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll out the pastry to a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Cut pastry into 5 lengthways and 7 widthways to make 35 rectangles, then place on the lined tray. Prick pastry with a fork. Cover with another sheet of baking paper, then a heavy baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Remove top tray and paper, then allow tartines to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the avocado, place sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small pan over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cool, then whiz in a processor with avocado, lime and wasabi. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Combine the vinegar, mirin, soy sauce and grated ginger in a small bowl.
- When ready to serve, spread each tartine with some avocado, top with salmon and garnish with cress. Drizzle with a little dressing just before serving.