Try out this amazing Maltese dish and impress your family and friends
- For the pastry:
- 1. Make the pastry by rubbing the fat into the flour with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- 2. Add the ounce of sugar and stir it inâ€¦then carefully add the water, little by little stirring with a knife until the pastry comes togetherâ€¦be careful not to add too much.
- 3. Then gather the pastry into a ball and chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
- 4. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 (220C).
- 5. Mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl until well mixed.
- 6. Roll out the pastry fairly thinly, but not too thin on a floured board, then with a pastry cutter cut the circles to fit the patty tinsâ€¦..this should make about 18 tarts
- 7. When the patty tins are lined with the pastry put a spoonful of the filling into each one and then generously grate nutmeg over the tarts before putting them in the oven to bake for about 15-20 minutes until well browned.