Discover steak perfection with this beautiful fillet served on a bed of creamy polenta.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30g unsalted butter
- 4 fillet steaks (about 180g each)
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1/2 cup (125ml) marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2/3 cup (110g) instant polenta*
- Heat the olive oil and half the butter in a large frypan over medium-high heat.
- Season the steaks with salt, then cook in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side, turning once (for medium rare). Cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter to the frypan and reduce the heat to low. Add the eschalots and cook for about 1 minute until softened. Add the thyme, marsala and peppercorns. Simmer for about 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken stock in a saucepan with 1 cup (250ml) of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, then slowly add the polenta and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. To serve, place polenta and steak on plates and pour over sauce.