Serve succulent spring lamb with creamy skordalia for an easy, healthy weeknight dinner.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lamb leg steaks
- 1/2 cup fresh peas (see note)
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1 (250g) large desiree potato
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Crush 4 garlic cloves. Combine with oregano, lemon rind and 2 tablespoons oil in a glass or ceramic dish. Add lamb steaks. Turn to coat. Marinate in the fridge for up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add peas and asparagus. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until just tender. Using a slotted spoon transfer veg to a bowl of chilled water to refresh. Drain. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Add potato and remaining whole peeled garlic cloves to boiling water. Cook for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel potato. Roughly chop potato and garlic. Press potato and garlic through a fi ne sieve into a bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons remaining oil and 2 tablespoons warm water, adding more warm water if necessary to form a thick spreadable mash.
- Heat a chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Rest for 5 minutes. Slice.
- Combine cucumber, radish, asparagus and peas in a bowl. Add parsley and toss with remaining oil and lemon juice. Divide skordalia between serving plates. Top with sliced steak and salad. Serve