Try out this amazing Maltese dish and impress your family and friends
- 100g of sugar
- 100g of starch for cakes
- 4 eggs
- 1 sachet of baking powder â€˜â€™pane degli angeliâ€™â€™
- Grated lemon rind
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks in 2 different bowls.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk.
- Add the starch and baking powder.
- Heat the oven.
- Beat the egg whites.
- Add them, a little at a time and stirring (delicately) to the mixture.
- Grease a baking tray and dust it with flour.
- Pour in the mixture.
- Put the tray into the oven at a moderate temperature for 30 -40 minutes.
- Take the tray from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Turn it upside down and let the sponge cake cool. Then serve it plain or decorated or in small sweet â€˜sandwichesâ€™.