Keep this salmon crowd-pleaser up your sleeve for easy entertaining or weeknight meals. Pea puree and freekeh salad round it out for a meal that's tasty, but requires little effort.
- 180g (1 cup) freekeh, rinsed, drained
- 490g (3 1/4 cups) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh continental parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 50g pistachio kernels, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 4 (about 150g each) salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 125ml (1/2 cup) red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, bruised
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickling juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoons caster sugar
- For the pickled radish, place the vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, peppercorns and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Place the radish and dill in a sterilised heatproof jar. Pour over vinegar mixture. Set aside to cool. Place in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight to pickle.
- Cook the freekeh in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until al dente. Drain. Rinse under cold running water. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the peas and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 4 minutes or until tender. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Reserve 14 cup peas. Add 1 tablespoon mint to remaining peas. Season. Use a stick blender to puree until smooth.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.
- Add parsley, dill, pistachios, remaining mint and 23 cup drained pickled radish to the freekeh. Toss to combine.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the salmon with oil and rub to coat. Season skin well. Cook, skin-side down, for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve salmon with pea puree, reserved peas, freekeh salad, lemon wedges and remaining radish pickle.