Try these fish cakes made with salmon and red Pontiac potato.Add a salad, tartare sauce and lemon wedges to complete the meal.
- 2 (about 250g each) salmon fillets
- 4 pontiac potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, finely chopped
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 105g (1 1/2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Tartare sauce, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Fill a frying pan with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Add salmon and simmer for 5 minutes or until just cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook potato in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Use a potato masher or fork to mash until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Remove skin and bones from salmon, and use a fork to flake. Add to the mashed potato along with the hard-boiled egg, caper, gherkin, lemon rind, lemon juice, dill and shallot. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide salmon mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into 8cm patties. Transfer to a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Place flour, whisked egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Coat 1 patty in flour and shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs, pressing gently to coat. Place on a tray. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add half the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden and heated through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining patties. Divide patties among plates. Serve with salad, tartare sauce and lemon.