Try out this amazing Maltese dish and impress your family and friends
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 3tblespoons grated parmigiano cheese
- 2tblspoons breadcrumbs
- 1 quantity of the egg pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onions and cook very gently without allowing them to take colour, for about 30min.
- Season and transfer to colander or sieve and leave to drain(either overnight, or for several hrs- or, if you want to use them sooner, put a weight on top of the onions to force out the moisture more quickly) reserve some of the liquid for sauce.
- When the onions have drained and are cold, put them into a blender and quick pulse 3/4 times.
- Add the parmigiano, breadcrumbs and one of the eggs, check and adjust the seasoning(remember that the cheese is salty).
- Make the pasta dough as per recipe and put through the pasta machine or open by hand if you dont have a machine.
- Make the tordelli as for the ravioli recipe, using either a plain cutter or a glass.
- Freeze or cook.
- Ravioli and Tordelli cooks in 3/4 minutes from fresh 5/6 from frozen.