With a fresh tomato sauce this marinated steak is perfect for a summer barbecue.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 x 200g Scotch fillet beef steaks
- 800g ripe tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Pinch of sugar, to taste
- Combine oil, thyme and garlic in a large shallow dish. Add steak, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 mins, or overnight.
- Meanwhile, use a small sharp knife to score a small cross in the skin of tomatoes. Place in a large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and stand for 2 mins. Drain. When cool enough to handle, slip off skins.
- Cut tomatoes in half crossways and scoop out seeds with a teaspoon. Chop flesh. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for 30 secs, then add tomato flesh. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in thyme and season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Remove steaks from fridge about 20 mins before cooking. Cook over medium-high heat on a preheated barbecue for about 4 mins each side for medium, cooking in batches if necessary. Set aside to rest for 5 mins then serve with fresh tomato sauce.