Pulled pork and jalapeno chillis take fries to a whole new level.
- 600g piece pork belly, score the fat
- Salt, to taste
- 1 onion, cut into eight wedges
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock or water
- 4 large potatoes (russet or sebago)
- 30g butter
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 200ml Bulla CrÃ¨me FraÃ®che
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Sliced jalapeno chillies, to serve
- Coriander, to serve
- Lime, to serve
- Red onion, cut into slithers, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced).
- Place pork into a baking dish and season with salt. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and stock to the dish and cook covered for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until pork is tender. Place under a hot grill at end of cooking if a crispy skin is desired. Shred meat and combine with cooking juices, cooked onion and garlic, set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1cm wide lengths. Place into a bowl of cold water until required. Ensuring they are drained and patted dry prior to frying.
- To prepare the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in stock and bring to the boil. Stir in half of the crÃ¨me fraÃ®che with the paprika and cumin. Simmer for a further minute. Season to taste.
- Heat a large saucepan of oil to approx. 170ºC, add potatoes in batches and cook for 4-6 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined tray and keep warm whilst frying remaining potatoes.
- Increase temperature of oil to 190ºC and return chips to the oil for a second fry, approximately 4 minutes to increase their crispy exterior.
- Serve fries with pulled pork, chillies, coriander, lime and red onion.