Try this tasty beef and mash dinner with a Japanese-style twist.
- 1/3 cup Japanese barbecue marinade and stir-fry sauce
- 800g beef rump steak, trimmed
- 750g orange sweet potato, peeled, roughly chopped
- 40g butter
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 150g daikon (white radish), peeled cut into thin ribbons (see Notes)
- 1 carrot, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into thin ribbons
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Place marinade in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add steak. Turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Return to saucepan. Add butter and miso paste. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Fold in green onion.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Drain steak from marinade. Discard marinade. Cook for 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Daikon salad: Whisk salt, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add veg, coriander and sesame seeds. Toss to coat. Slice steak. Serve with mash and salad.