Have your cake and eat it, too! Create this decadent cake with half the fat of your usual favourites.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium (200g) granny smith apple, peeled, grated
- 100ml Pauls light thickened cream
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease two 4.5cm-deep, 20cm round (base) cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Sift flours and cocoa into a large bowl. Add sugar. Stir to combine. Place oil, eggs and buttermilk in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add oil mixture and apple to flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Divide mixture between prepared pans. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of cakes comes out clean. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Place 1 cake on a plate. Spread with 1/4 cup cream. Sandwich with remaining cake. Dollop with remaining cream. Top with raspberries. Serve immediately.